This 1953 Morgan Plus 4 was delivered new to Fergus Motors of New York in January 1954, acquired by the seller as a project more than 30 years ago, and refurbished over the course of the next decade. The body has been repainted in Ming Blue with a black vinyl interior, and power is from a 2.1-liter Triumph inline-four paired with a four-speed manual Moss transmission. The car was reportedly raced between 1998 and 2000 at events including the Monterey Historics, and it is now offered in California with a clean Oregon title in the seller’s name.
A new hood and fenders were installed during the older refurbishment, and the car was repainted Ming Blue. The cross member is stamped with the chassis number and is said to be the only structural component from when the car was new. A replacement black fabric Haartz soft top was sourced and can be seen raised in the gallery below. The side curtains shown above are also included in the sale.
Silver-painted steel wheels are fitted with chrome dog dish hubcaps and Kumho tires. Two spare wheels and tires are held in place behind the passenger compartment with an aluminum clamp.
The cockpit features black vinyl upholstery and a wood dashboard with Smiths gauges including a five-digit odometer showing approximately 39k miles, with 10k added by the seller. An aftermarket water temperature gauge is mounted below the dashboard, several knobs are not stock, and the fuel gauge does not function.
The Triumph-sourced 2.1L inline-four was fitted with Carillo rods, replacement rod and main bearings, a nitrided crankshaft, and a reground camshaft in 1987. The cylinder head and valves were also reconditioned, and a service record detailing the work is shown in the gallery. Induction is from twin SU carburetors with polished dashpots. Power is routed through an aluminum flywheel and an MGB clutch to a four-speed Moss manual transmission.
Browse through Morgan West's large selection of vehicles that have recently been added to our inventory of Morgan sports cars.